boredom in the office hits a median during fridays. it’s a mix of getting things done for the weekend and realizing you’ve actually done nothing this whole week and cramming everything you can do before everything piles up. at syempre, dahil nagmamaganda ako, itutuloy ko na yung seryeng sinimulan ko…
There is only one thing consistently said about its logo: it’s from Milan. legends surround the logo. however, i’m sticking to the more ‘symbolic’ and not much into the story really. A.L.F.A. comes from the Italian Anomina Lombarda Fabrica Automobili (Lombarda car making company) and the original badge has ALFA written over the top of the badge and Milano underneath separated by Savoy dynasty knots. The logo is split in half and contains the emblems of Alfa’s hometown Milan and the one of the great Milanese ‘Visconti’ family.
On the left is the red cross on a white background, which refers back to the days of the First Crusade, when many Milanese soldiers were amongst the Lombards who followed Giovanni of Rho to the Holy Land. The red cross was their symbol, whilst the white background symbolised the white shirts they were forced to wear under their armour to protect them from the fierce Palestinian sun.
In 1920, five years after the take over by Nicola Romeo in December 1915 the badge changed to read Alfa Romeo above with Milano across the bottom. When the famous P2 Grand Prix cars won the first ever World Championship in 1925, the badge was encircled with thick silver laurel leaves in embossed metalwork. Over the years, these leaves lost their prominence and became less luxuriant, and when the monarchy was abolished and Italy became a republic, the Savoy dynasty knot was replaced by two wavy lines. It was not until 1972 that Milano was dropped with the opening of the factory in Pomigliano d’Arco.
Bayerische Motoren Werke (Bavarian Motor Company) AG is the full name of the BM. Its logo represents its beginnings. The company was established in 1913 and based in Munich, Germany. It started out as an aero engine manufacturer, hence the company logo. The logo comprised of four quadrants of alternating white and blue color. It is a stylized representation of an airplane propeller spinning against the clear blue sky. It reflects the origins of BMW as a maker of military aircraft engines during WWI. Also, white and blue are the traditional colors of Bavaria.
This one has a particularly beautiful history. The Audi badge the ‘Four Rings’ is the emblem of one of the oldest car manufacturers in Germany. It symbolises the 1932 merger of the four independent motor-vehicle manufacturers: Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer. Together with the NSU brand, which joined in 1969, these companies are the roots of the present-day AUDI AG. This badge was used, however, only on Auto Union racing cars in that period while the member companies used their own names and emblems. The technological development became more and more concentrated and some Audi models were propelled by Horch or Wanderer built engines.
After the war the Audi name – which is Latin for “Hear!” – disappeared, but was revived in 1965, using the four rings as a logo. Also, the name is sort of a pun on ‘hoerch’, German for ‘hear’, name of one of the founders. The company itself is more than a century old.
The four rings in the logo have nothing to do with the Olympic rings.